That is my lament whenever the subject of finding my wife comes up. The woman in Proverbs 31:10 that God said he has crafted for me. True enough I'm unprepared to nurture such a gift at this stage of my life, but you'd better believe I know what she is supposed to look like, how she is supposed to think, and what her heart condition should be. My brother Huggs said "Man, they don't make 'em like our Mom's anymore." A scribe of wisdom that made me a bit sad. Maybe it's the media thats sutured the spouse worthy populace. Maybe it was man's generational mishandling of woman's regal nature that contributes to the paltry numbers. I don't know the answer, but I do know that God's greatest gift to man was his wife. After all, Adam had the opportunity to dwell with God for eternity, but his life wasn't complete until his rib cage yielded Eve. "It's not good that man be alone." God gave women the power to change the world through her influence, but between the bitten fruit and music videos, something got lost in translation. Don't get me wrong, there are legions of faithful women out there who are "wife-worthy," but the ratio is shifting at an alarming rate. Its all do to a lack of knowledge...a lack of perspective.
1. Be selfless.
Your primary focus should be on what you can give, not what you can get. When you figure that out you will get everything you ever wanted. "So the last shall be first, and the first last."
2. Be smart, even when it's convenient to play dumb.
Ignorance is bliss, but willful ignorance is trifling. Nobody gives you anything for free. He's not your friend if he says he likes you. And the first disparaging word he says about your husband is the beginning of the end of the relationship. Same goes for female friends. Sometimes they are worse for your marriage than male suitors.
3. Get your hands out of my pocket.
If you to extol one man over another because of his earning potential you need to reevaluate your selection process. What's in his pocket has nothing to do with the content of his character. A man should focus on success and not money(See Joshua 1:8 for details). My chick will be aware that I don't provide for her. God provides for US
4. Watch your language.
There is nothing worse than talking to someone who doesn't have the intellectual fortitude not to fill a sentence with a crapulous slew of swears. It's uncouth, but more importantly it's unecessary. While they do serve a function in our cultural language, cursing is ineffective in mass quantities.
5. Be Confident.
If you don't love who you are, how can I? God loves us in spite of our flaws, so I can do the same. He said you are "wonderfully and marvelously made." Act like it. If you claim to be unitelligent, overweight, unattractive etc. then you are abating his greatness. And who wants that? not me
6. Never equivocate.
An answer is complete. Anything else is a lie. If you have to omit, then you were doing something wrong
7. Dress for the attention you want.
You know all the attention a girl gets from what she wears out? You know the tight dress with the truncated hem, that puts all your wares on display...with the heels to match. The one that makes every inebriated club goer grab at you and bite his knuckles? Freak 'em dress? Nah. That's the "Turn the other way if you're serious" dress.
8. Your word is bond.
If I have to question what you tell me then why bother?
9. Have an attitude.
Don't have an attitude with to your significant other, but to the guys who pursue you. nothing worse than getting "man I saw yo girl laughing with some dude in her face." Be polite, be brief, be uninviting
*I'm sure there are more traits to be noted, but these are just a few that I recognize. I hope it reached many, educated some, and inspired a few.
As I twittered the other day...I'm glad I'm not a straight man. I think you've inspired my next post though.
ReplyDeleteI have really been wanting to address this, but I believe you might have done the job. Might still hit upon it though. Very nicely put sir.
ReplyDeleteJas, I would like to hear an elaboration as to why you say that and I'm glad I can inspire.
ReplyDeleteChelsea, thanks I'm interested in seeing your take on the subject